11/3/09

How I Design My Own Websites

First off let me say I am no HTML (Hypertext Markup Language) expert. I do have a background in computers but I worked more on the hardware side of things, servers, networking equipment, RAID arrays, to name a few. I thought I would spend some time telling how I started designing my own webpages.



I was originally drawn to the web to put up sites for the bands I was in. My first websites were real clunky, in fact most of my ideas came from other people's websites. I would go to a cool website and select view source in Internet Explorer and it would show what the website looked like in HTML code. By examining the HTML code and copy and pasting I slowly started to learn some of the basic HTML commands. Going with just the basics it is possible to put together a pretty nice site. However, to really start working with more complex webpages you need more than basic HTML, and I needed cool graphics and pictures and sound, all the goodies.

I originally tried using Microsoft Frontpage to create my sites but what a nightmare that was, way to complicated for someone like me who is very inpatient. So I started doing web searches and to my delight I discovered a HTML editor called Coffee Cup HTML Editor. Best thing was I was able to download a working demo copy, I must try before I buy! The demo worked so well I decided to buy the package. I believe I paid a tad under $50 and the current price is still under $50, amazing! My original purchase was in 1998, I've since upgrade through the years and I am currently using version 2005. By the way you get free upgrades for life!

The 2006 version is currently available. A interesting fact is while doing research for this article I realized that the software first came out in 1996! So this is not a fly-by-night piece of software.
The information below is from Coffee Cup I've interjected where I think more "dummying up" is needed

Coffee Cup HTML Editor is two editors in one. If you know HTML or want to learn more, use the HTML code editor. To make pages fast or without knowing HTML, use the drag-and-drop WYSIWYG (What You See Is What You Get) Visual Editor. You also can go back and forth between the Code and Visual Editors to create remarkable Web sites in a snap. I love being able to see what my page looks like after making changes.

Coffee Cup comes with more than 100 DHTML (Dynamic HTML) and JavaScripts, (these let you integrate neat functions like dancing cursors and also cool design functionality) a DHTML Menu wizard, 25,000 graphics and photos including more than 1,000 XP Style Icons, and access to more than 500 free Web-site templates (they have some really good ones). It also has built-in FTP Uploading and Table, Frame, Font, and Form Designers. What all this stuff means is you are given the tools so you can make your webpages look professional and the ability to transfer them to your hosting site. I'll go into Web Site Hosting in another article. You can also preview your work in any browser or use the exclusive Split Screen preview. Its other features include a Project Manager, a Flash Text Wizard, aHTML Code Cleaner, a Color Scrollbar Wizard, a StyleSheet Editor, and a List Wizard.

If you want to buy 40 ready to go websites visit www.NetworkCharts.com

No comments:

Post a Comment